Throughout the year I have experimented with many different processes and learnt lots of new things. In the editorial illustration projects I learnt how images can speak for themselves out of context and how putting them into context can change their meanings. I also learnt how it is import to consider what connotations different materials and images can portray especially when it comes to sensitive topics. I also learnt to consider how an image will be accessed by people, for example on a website or in print and how this can effect how you create an image. I also learnt how to make a GIF in this project, something I had only done once and not very well. I also discovered that I need to make my work neater, especially the haunted house image, making the picture bigger would have made it easier to cut out the furniture and using a lighter pencil to sketch before I paint as it can still be seen in the image. I found this project interesting as it simulated what a real life editorial commission would be like, this enabled me to learn about this process and allowed me to consider doing more projects like this in the future.
With the second project Mappa Mundi I was able to develop my collage skills further however I think I used too much collage in this project and not enough of my drawings skills. I enjoyed this project as I was able to develop one of my ideas further however I now wish that I had explored the idea in a different way. Because of this project I realised that I needed to incorporate more of my drawings into my final work as my drawings are quite lively and expressive and I think that these features are lost in the final pieces where I use collage.
In the Penguin Book project I experimented with dynamic shapes and paper cuts in order to to create a book cover. I was also able to experiment with text in relation to images and develop my own style of writing. This project also taught me about how a book cover is put together and what information needs to be included on one. I was also able to experiment with textures which is something that I enjoy incorporating into my work, I think that this project allowed me to start to discover how I can include textures in my work without using a lot of collage and still being able to incorporate drawing into final pieces. I also learnt a lot about dynamism and how using simple shapes can create lively pieces which attract attention.
In the creative conscience project I was able to develop my animation skills further. I was also able to explore how I could use drawings in my final pieces. My final outcome was a set of GIFs that I created using photoshop. The character, a vampire, in the GIFs was created digitally on a tablet, allowing me to draw but making it easier to convert into a GIF. I enjoyed this project as I was able to create something with the aim of helping others and bringing attention to a deserving cause. The idea of my work potentially helping people inspired me and encouraged me to create something that I enjoyed making and that others would enjoy too. I learn’t many skills in this project as I made a series of GIFs in a way that I hadn’t previously used. This project also allowed me to explore how words and images work together, I discovered that in some cases it is important to have a balance between the words and images and to not let one out shadow the other when trying to convey information and interest people. I am very pleased with the work that came out of this project as I think my series of GIFs achieved my goal of encouraging people to give blood in a light hearted and humorous way.
In the final project, the open brief project, I was able to explore a different aspect of my work, a darker and more serious aspect. This project enabled me to discover how I could tackle such a serious topic using my artwork, which is usually lighthearted and charming. I was also able to further explore how words and images work in relation to each other. I enjoyed this project as I was able to work with a narrative which is something that I enjoy and something that I think my work is more suited to. I think that this project was a challenge for me as I had to illustrate something real whereas I often illustrate the imaginary and I had to do this in a way that suited the topic but I still wanted to create something that was visually engaging, including textures. To create the images for this book project I used a process that was fairly familiar to me, watercolour, however I tried to use it in a way that I hadn’t used before. I also used photoshop to create digital backgrounds, this is something that I have done before but I think that I can still improve this technique. I also learnt about book layouts and how to create a book using Indesign which is an important thing for an illustrator to be able to do.