The Field module of my first year at university was about working with other people from the same or different disciplines so that we would be able to combine our different skills and knowledge in order to collaboratively create pieces of work.
We started the module by doing some short projects in groups based on the idea of manifestoes that we considered important. For these short projects the group that I was in made work based on the topic of animal rights. From doing this I learnt that some approaches to group tasks can be unsuccessful and that communication is key when trying to create a piece of work that coheres. In our group we thought it was best to split up into smaller groups to compete our work and bring everything together at he end. This did not work so well especially for the Guernica project where we had to create one large piece of work together. We found that we had not communicated our ideas well and because of this our work did not fit well together as one big piece. In future it would be best to talk more as a group to ensure that we all understand our individual tasks within the group.
The second project that we were given involved us being put into new groups, this project was also longer than the shorter previous ones. This project was centred around a soldier’s story from the Spanish Civil War. This group project was more successful than the other ones that I had taken part in because we communicated more, sharing our ideas in order to ensure it would work with the other members work. We decided to individually produce a response to the soldier’s story and then bring all our work together in the end so that it could be displayed as more of a collection of items that told the story. I also collaborated with an animation student in order to produce the main feature of our mini exhibition, a map that showed where the soldier travelled during his lifetime. I enjoyed this collaborative process as it allowed us to improve our original ideas by discussing them with each other and sharing each others knowledge in order to produce an animated map. Another major part of this project was research, as a group we looked at propaganda posters from the Spanish Civil War. Individually I also looked at old postcards to inspire my designs. This project also allowed me to develop some of my skills such as screen printing. I used paper stencils fixed to a screen in order to print my postcards. I had used this technique before but this project allowed me to experiment with it further as I was able to build up my images with multiple colours that had to be printed separately.
The final part of this module was to create an individual or collaborative piece that responded to the topic of animation, propaganda and satire. I really enjoyed this project as it allowed me to develop a piece of work from another project further and it also allowed me to learn lots of new skills that I had no previous experience with. These skills included using a new programme for stop motion, learning how to set up lighting, experimenting with the camera angle and then learning how to add different items in AfterEffects. I also learnt how to bring everything together in PremierPro and how to include existing sound effects in my animation. I also learnt briefly how to edit green screen footage. This project enabled me to learn a number of new skills, some independently and some with the help of others. This project also helped me to learn how to manage my time effectively in order to meet deadlines. I also learnt how to create a story board for an animation.